If we think about Spain we think of flamenco, sun, and potato omelette. With this recipe, you would be able to surprise your friends cooking this delicious recipe that everyone loves so much!
The Mediterranean diet is considered very healthy worldwide. This typical dish from Spain, besides being healthy and very tasty, is very easy to cook!
- 800 gr of potatoes
- 7 Eggs
- 1 onion (optional)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the onion into thin Julienne and poach in a pan. This step is optional. Unless you are allergic, I recommend you to add the onion since it gives the touch of softness to the dish. The texture and taste of an omelet changes a lot if the onion is added or not.
- Peel. Wash and cut the potatoes into thin slices and confit in plenty of oil until they soften (without browning).
- While the potatoes are confit, beat the eggs.
- Mix the potatoes with the onion and the beaten eggs in a bowl.
- Add the mixture to the pan. Stir at the beginning. Then you have to stop stirring and let it finish curdling. The fire should not be too high, otherwise, it would burn the bottom layer and the mixture would still be liquid.
- When we see that the outermost layer begins to detach from the edges (when it is no longer very liquid) you have to put a plate and turn the tortilla over. This step is important, you have to take a quick turnaround. The tortilla will fall on the plate leaving the most cooked layer up. You have to put the tortilla back in the pan to finish cooking the other side of the tortilla.
- While cooking is simmering, the edges can be shaped with a wooden spatula.
As they say in MasterChef Spain “The perfect potato omelet is made with extra virgin olive oil, quality potatoes, a rounded edge, a golden surface and a curd but juicy interior”
This is the original recipe, however, if you have visited Spain before you probably know that the potato omelette has many varieties. You can add green pepper, sausage, bacon or any other ingredient that combines with potato and egg.
If you are a fan of tortillas you can create your own variety of potato omelette with the ingredients that you like the most.
Enjoy your meal!